As the main building on the home farm that supported the lives of the people who lived and worked at Hampton, most of the time it was probably used as the residence of the person responsible for managing the farm’s daily operations and workforce.
The Farmhouse now serves as the focal point for interpreting the important story of work and labor at this once vast agricultural and industrial estate. (HHI), a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and promoting Hampton by providing funding for projects not covered by the NPS, assists the National Park Service at a number of special programs held regularly at the Farmhouse (see Activities page for current list of events).
The Hampton Farmhouse, dating from the second quarter of the 18th century, is one of the oldest buildings in Baltimore County.
Its preserved historic interiors, featuring original Georgian paneling, present a rare glimpse into an early Maryland house.
Under the supervision of owner Captain Charles Ridgely, "the Builder," construction began in 1783 and was finished in 1790.